Virginia Earn an ABA Certificate Online (Applied Behavior Analysis)
Thinking about pursuing an ABA certificate online? Earning an applied behavior analysis certificate could be a great way to explore the exciting field of human behavior. Plus, an online format may be perfect for busy students, like parents or those who work full time! Ready to get started? Below, you’ll find lots of info on online aba programs that may interest you.
Why pursue an ABA certificate?
Students interested in the study of behavior may wish to check out a few different kinds of online bcba programs, such as master’s degree and PhD programs. However, there may be a few potential reasons to pursue an applied behavior analysis certificate:
- You have already earned a graduate degree. To pursue a career as a board certified behavior analyst, you typically need to earn a graduate degree.[i] However, earning an aba certificate online may help you enhance your knowledge in the field of applied behavior analysis, or build on previous knowledge and experience.
- You’re hoping to pursue a new opportunity. Whether you’re hoping to enhance your current ABA career path or you’re planning for a potential career change, earning behavior certificates may be a good next step. For example, mental health professionals hoping to broaden their knowledge of behavior analysis might be interested in pursuing an aba certificate.
- You want to explore the fascinating science of human behavior. Online aba programs could potentially be interesting to anyone whose role involves human learning and behavior – from mental health professionals and social workers to educators and child care professionals!
Applied behavior analysis graduate programs online vs. on campus
Not sure whether to pursue an aba certificate online or on campus? Either type of program could be a great choice…but depending on your lifestyle and other commitments, you may find that online learning is perfect for you. Here are some potential benefits of choosing an online aba certificate program:
- Access – Don’t live close to a campus that offers applied behavior analysis certificate programs? Online learning could potentially give you access to curriculum from colleges and universities that might otherwise be out of reach. Students with physical disabilities may also find online learning to be more convenient.
- Scheduling – Not everyone has time to attend daytime college courses. Applied behavior analysis graduate programs online may allow you to take classes when you’re available…like in the evenings, after work. Online bcba programs may be perfect for busy parents or people with full-time jobs.
- Independence – Don’t like to follow the crowd? Earning behavior certificates online may be great for those who want the freedom to listen to lectures more than once, or potentially learn at a faster-than-average pace.
- Technology – These days, online learners may have exciting technology tools at their fingertips – like web chat, virtual classrooms, and digital textbooks. If you prefer pursuing your coursework from your personal computer, earning an aba certificate online may suit your high-tech learning style!
What’s the difference between earning an aba certificate online and aba certification online?
It can be easy to mix up aba certificate with aba certification! But while these two credentials share a similar name, they are quite different! An applied behavior analysis certificate program is typically a non-degree program intended to help students learn more about the fascinating science of human behavior while preparing for potential career goals. Behavior certificates usually must be earned from a college or university. Earning ABA certification online, on the other hand, may refer to a type of professional credential potentially awarded by a board or agency. For example, the BACB (Behavior Analyst Certification Board) awards BCBA (board certified behavior analyst) certification to eligible candidates. i
How might I evaluate applied behavior analysis graduate programs online?
Overwhelmed by all the potential online aba programs out there? It may be time to start narrowing down your list of prospective aba certificate programs. Here are some criteria you may wish to consider:
Accreditation[ii] – When a school or program is accredited by an independent organization, it may be a good sign! Accreditation could indicate that the school or program meets quality standards within its industry, which may be important to prospective employers. And if you’re eligible for federal financial aid, which may be available for qualified students, school accreditation is likely a must!
Platform and tools – It’s not a bad idea to find out what technology tools are used in your prospective online aba certificate program to see if you are comfortable with the learning platform. Find out if IT support may be available, and ask what a typical online class is like.
Student-friendly attributes – Consider aspects of your prospective aba certificate online program that may make it student-friendly – like low student-to-faculty ratios, the availability of support services, and representatives who are happy to answer your questions. You may also want to check out retention rates and other program stats.
Program focus – Online aba programs may offer more general curriculum, or they may focus on a particular area of applied behavior analysis, like autism spectrum disorders. Your choice may depend on your interests and career goals. You may also wish to seek additional info about the curriculum of the program you’re considering…like lists of the courses you could potentially take!
What is ABA?
Does human behavior fascinate you? Perplex you? If so, you might wish to learn more about ABA, which stands for applied behavior analysis. ABA is basically the science of human behavior. In this field you might explore how and why we act in certain ways, along with top methods and best practices to help people live more beneficial lives. ABA may be applied to various populations, like people with autism or developmental disabilities. You may even be interested to know how behaviors change depending on situations and environments…for example, how do students behave in a classroom, as compared to employees in an organization?
Ready to Search for ABA Certificate Online Programs?
Below, you’ll find a list of online applied behavior analysis certificate programs that may interest you. See a program that looks good? Click to learn more about what the program may offer.
Sources: [i] bacb.com/bcba-requirements/ | [ii] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/consider#accreditation