Delaware Marketing Certificate Programs Online
Marketing Certificate Programs Online help professionals develop their knowledge in marketing broadly or in a specific area of marketing, such as advertising, digital marketing, or integrated marketing. These shorter, five- to seven-course programs help students learn about strategy, analysis, sales, management, and other areas critical to marketing success.
Whether you are a seasoned professional or someone just starting your marketing career, pursuing an online marketing certificate can help you enhance your knowledge and skillset and develop your skills to respond to today’s marketing dilemmas, challenges, and environment.
Why Pursue a Certificate in Marketing or Advertising?
Having earned their bachelor’s degree, many professionals opt to further their education through graduate-level programs. While some opt to pursue a master’s degree or doctorate degree, others opt to pursue a certificate. Here is why:
- Some people do not have the interest in or resources to pursue a two-year to five-year degree. Pursuing a certificate offers a wonderful alternative.
- Someone with a bachelor’s degree in marketing might opt to pursue a certificate in advertising to pursue work in advertising, or they might earn a certificate in another area or type of marketing, such as digital marketing, public relations, marketing management, or marketing analytics to become professionals with focused, specialized knowledge.
- Someone with a bachelor’s degree in something other than marketing might become interested in the field and want to develop their foundational knowledge in marketing, advertising, or another area of marketing.
- Someone with a bachelor’s degree in any subject might be interested in pursuing a master’s degree in marketing or advertising but want to try out the subject first. Because many certificate programs allow students to transfer credits
- from a certificate program into a master’s degree program (though always check with a counselor to be sure), testing the subject in a certificate program may be an effective and efficient way to test the waters.
These are just some of many reasons to pursue a certificate. What is your reason? It is always good to consider your options and inspire yourself into a great future.
Why Consider Marketing Certificate Programs Online?
Marketing certificate programs online offer students flexibility to access their coursework and contribute to class discussions at times convenient to them. For working professionals interested in enhancing their marketing or advertising skills, being able to engage with their coursework during lunch, before work, or in the evenings makes pursuing advanced education accessible. The same goes for students who have families or other obligations that call for flexibility in pursuing their graduate-level education.
Similarly, students who want to pursue a specific marketing or advertising certificate not offered at a school near them, or who want to earn their education at a specific institution in another area can do so through marketing certificate programs online.
Consider This: online educational programming has become so popular that many schools offer an abundance of learning tools to make learning online highly effective and engaging. Students typically have access to resources like digital libraries and student groups, and innovative digital tools enable students to interact with each other and professors in meaningful ways.
Lastly, because online certificate programs in marketing are available to students across the globe, courses, and therefore class discussions and group projects, might be more diverse and conducive to learning from more perspectives.
Types of Marketing Certificate Programs Online
Marketing is a broad field that include advertising, public relations, and pretty much any topic related to creating, implementing, operating, and analyzing marketing campaigns. As such, students can pursue a variety of online marketing certificates.
For example, students might pursue:
- A general online marketing certificate that covers foundational marketing subjects
- A general online advertising certificate that covers foundational advertising subjects
- A digital marketing certificate online
- A marketing strategy certificate online
- An internet marketing certificate online
- A marketing management certificate online
While these cover some of the more broad areas of marketing and advertising, other types of online marketing certificate programs might cover more specific areas of the subjects, such as:
- Customer-driven Marketing
- Data-driven Marketing
- Integrated Marketing
- Marketing Strategy
- Public Relations
- Marketing and Communications
- International Marketing
- Marketing and Sales
- Direct Marketing
- Market Research
- Business Marketing and Design
Structure of Online Marketing Certificate Programs
Online marketing certificate programs are typically short, including just five to seven courses that students take over the course of six months to one year. Students might take their courses alongside students pursuing their master’s or doctorate degrees, so the course content is typically graduate-level.
While students will likely take exams, conduct research, and write papers in each of their five to seven courses, they usually do not write and present a comprehensive thesis or dissertation or take a cumulative exam. However, they might have an option to participate in an internship in their home city.
Students either complete their online certificate in marketing and call it a day, or they transfer their credits and continue on in a master’s or doctorate degree program (again, always check with an adviser to see if this is a possibility).
Finally, courses in marketing certificate programs online might take anywhere from two weeks to a semester to complete. It simply depends on the program. Those designed for working professionals typically have shorter courses and therefore enable students to focus on one class at a time.
Potential Courses in Marketing Certificate Programs Online
Some people assume that coursework in online programs is easier than coursework in on-campus ones. However, many online classrooms today pull directly from the same curriculum used on campus. Therefore, coursework in online marketing certificate programs will likely be rigorous and potentially demanding.
Some specific subjects students might study in their programs include:
- Marketing principles, theories, and practices
- Brand management
- Integrated marketing communications
- Consumer market research
- Digital marketing
- Marketing strategy
- Essentials of advertising
- Creative advertising concepts
- International advertising
- Advertising sales
Some specific skills students might develop in their online marketing or advertising certificate program include:
- How to effectively utilize search tools, search engines, social networks, email, the internet, and other digital tools (especially in digital marketing certificate programs online or internet marketing certificate programs online)
- How to manage marketing departments and professionals
- How to develop integrated marketing communications strategies
- How to develop a service strategy and manage a brand
- How to measure outcomes to confirm if strategies are working
- How to develop brands and tell businesses’ stories
These are just some of many specific skills students might develop. More broadly, students will likely develop their analytical, creative, and critical thinking skills in their online marketing certificate programs. Because they’ll be pursuing their certificate online, they might also develop their digital communication skills.
What Careers Can I Pursue or Enhance with an Online Marketing Certificate?
Marketing careers cross the span of industries. Whether you want to work in healthcare, technology, hospitality, the non-profit sector, or another industry, you’re likely to find a need for skilled, educated marketing professionals. Some specific roles you might pursue as a marketing professional include:
- Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Manager: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals in this role earned a median annual salary of $129,380 in 2017. The BLS predicts that the field will grow by 10 percent between 2016 and 2026.i
- Market Research Analyst: According to the BLS, Market Research Analysts earned a median annual salary of $63,230 in 2017. It predicts that the field will grow by 23 percent between 2016 and 2026.ii
- Public Relations Specialist: According to the BLS, professionals in this role earned a median annual salary of $59,300 in 2017. The BLC estimates that this field will grow by nine percent between 2016 and 2026.vii
Note that according to the BLS, these roles require professionals to hold a bachelor’s degree for entrance to the field. However, having a graduate certificate can help you enhance your skillset, knowledge, and resume.
Did You Know? As we discussed above, pursuing a certificate in marketing might be a great first step toward pursuing a master’s degree. While many positions in marketing only require professionals to have a bachelor’s degree, the BLS determined in its 2017 audit that 23 percent of market research analysts and marketing specialists held master’s degrees in 2016. Those workers earned a mean annual wage of $25,000 more than professionals who held only a bachelor’s degree.v
Find the Best Online Marketing Certificate Programs for You
Explore our site to find marketing certificate programs online. Simply click on program icons and hyperlinks to learn more about a program, and use our onsite form to contact schools directly. If you want to narrow your search, you can use our search tool to browse by subject, such as “Advertising & Public Relations” or “Marketing.”
Whether you are looking for advertising certificate programs online, or online certificates in a specific area of marketing, we likely have options for you. Get started finding your perfect program now! Good luck!
i bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm | ii bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/market-research-analysts.htm | iii bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/public-relations-specialists.htm | iv bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm