MES - Master of Environmental Studies, Ph.D. - Doctorate in Environmental Studies
With over 40 years of experience in graduate education, the Faculty of Environmental Studies (FES) has always challenged the status quo. As Canada's first faculty of its kind, we focus on interdisciplinary research and teaching. In examining ourselves and our environments across the globe, we constantly strive to address critical environmental issues and promote social justice. Our dynamic interests are reflected by the breadth and depth of internationally-recognized research and through the many publications of our faculty. FES Master's and PhD programs are celebrated for the diversity and flexibility they offer. These qualities allow you to bring your own interests to the program, while your passions are nourished and encouraged with the guidance of an equally dedicated Faculty.
Anything involving an environment can be studied in our graduate programs. Examples of past students' research topics include:
- rethinking climate change policy
- ecocultural studies
- democratizing the global city
- children's environmental education programs in zoos
- community-based renewable energy development
- imagining city building for social change
- theorizing the socioeconomic rights of poor single mothers in Canada
- the evolution of corporate social responsibility
Streams and Specializations:
MES Planning Program
Follow MES course requirements that grant you professional certification through the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) and recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP).
Focus your studies on law and the environment through this program, the only one of its kind in Canada, offered jointly through the Faculty of Environmental Studies and Osgoode Hall Law School. more
Diploma in Business and the Environment
This joint diploma, offered through the Faculty of Environmental Studies and the Schulich School of Business, allows you to focus your studies on sustainable business practices while working on your MES or MBA.
Diploma in Environmental/Sustainability Education
This diploma is offered jointly by the graduate programs in Education and Environmental Studies. It is designed to provide opportunities for educators in schools, community organizations, cultural institutions and advocacy groups to develop expertise and to participate in research, theory and practice in the field of environmental and sustainability education. The diploma is offered to two groups of students:
- those already enrolled in an Environmental Studies or Education graduate programs; or
- those not studying for the MES/MEd degree but interested in the diploma alone. Offered through the Faculty of Education only
Minimum Admission Requirements
Overall Band Score: 7.5
- Statement of educational and career objectives (500 words)
- If you do not meet the minimum requirements: you may still be considered for admission if you have an extensive background in the area you wish to study, including significant writing and analytical experience.
- See complete MES application instructions on the program website.
- Writing sample
- Description of intended area of research (1,000 words)
- See complete PhD application instructions on the program website.
International Student Requirements:
Refer to the international credentials information for your country.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Financial Aid Offered: Yes