What does earning a masters in video game design on campus entail? Earning a master’s degree in this field involves equal parts art and technological proficiency. By earning this degree, students have the opportunity to pursue a career in video game design, animation and related fields. Finding the perfect degree program for you can be a challenge, but there is a wealth of on campus options for interested scholars. Individuals who earn a master’s in video game design may choose to pursue potential career opportunities in a challenging and changing niche.
Earning a Masters in Video Game Design On Campus
Before pursuing a masters in video game design on campus, interested individuals may want to consider if their natural skills and abilities line up with the needs of a designer. Keep in mind many programs give students the opportunity to further develop these abilities and skills during the program. However, having these traits, qualities and abilities may be very helpful to new scholars:
- Critical thinking: As they juggle projects, designers may be tasked with determining the best course of action regarding creative and time management decisions. The ability to use logic and reasoning to arrive at the better solutions may be helpful in the field[i].
- Full communication skill set: Video games incorporate written, verbal and visual cues to convey story and instructional information. Designers could be required to effectively juggle these communication methods and effectively relay points to the game’s audience[ii].
- Creativity and originality: During story creation, development and building, designers are often an integral part of the process. They may be tasked with coming up with creative solutions[ii].
- Complex problem solving: Without upsetting other project elements, game developers may be responsible for finding a single solution for multiple problems. Designers may need to learn how to handle multiple issues and resolutions[iii].
- Time management skills: Design and animation projects are often deadline driven. Especially as designers gain experience, they may be asked to handle multiple important tasks and projects while still meeting hard due dates. Managing time well is typically essential for a successful video game developer[ii].
- Artistic talent: Designers may need to translate their ideas and thoughts into visual or actionable means. Rendering an idea with appreciate texture, lighting and color may require an acute artistic sense and talent[ii].