Video game design is a new and unique field of study in the art and multimedia sector. The study of video game design lies at the cross section of multiple disciplines including computer programing and the arts. Earning a Masters in video game design may prepare scholars to pursue a career as a designer in mobile, film, advertising and other niches. Individuals who earn a video game masters might choose to jumpstart a career or pursue a doctorate in their field or a related area of study.
Skills and Qualities of Scholars in a Masters in Video Game Design Program
As with any profession, many video game designers possess certain natural qualities and abilities. However, during the course of a master’s program, students may have the opportunity to develop these skills[i]:
- Creativity: Designers are an integral part of the brainstorming and story building process and may need to contribute frequently in a creative way.
- Communication through multiple means: These professionals may utilize a variety of mediums including animation, pictures and words to communicate the game’s story and instructions. As a result, designers may need to be proficient with multiple forms of communication.
- Computer proficiency: Computers are frequently at the heart of video game design, so artists may need to use technology to seamlessly translate ideas.
- Artistic ability: As in more traditional art forms, designers may often work with color, texture and contrast to effectively create the game, so a natural artistic talent could be extremely helpful.
- Time-management: Designers may be creative professionals, but many must still observe strict project deadlines. As such, time management skills are usually quite helpful to have or develop as professionals take on larger workloads.