Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology Programs and Degrees Info
Are you looking to pursue a career-focused specialty in the broad field of psychology? Does learning skills so you can apply psychological principles and theories to businesses and organizations interest you? Are you drawn to social sciences and public affairs? If yes, you might be interested in earning a Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology. This field of study concentrates on the scientific study of employees, workplaces, and organizations. It is a recognized specialty in the United States. While it is not necessarily intended to help prepare you for licensure as a professional psychologist, it is a Degree typically designed to help teach you to apply psychological principles for organizational success.
Fact: One of the fastest growing fields, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is Industrial Organizational Psychology[i].
What is the role of an organizational psychologist?
Some of the activities and skill-sets of an organizational psychologist may include:
- Research: on employee behaviors and attitudes
- Problem-solve: Determine how these attitudes can be improved through hiring practices, training programs, feedback, management systems, predicting job performance
- Evaluate: Coach, train and help employees transition during periods of organizational development. Mediate and make peace.
- Recruit: Learn how to select and retain high quality employees
- Focus on how organizations impact and interact with individuals.
Historical Tidbit: The roots of industrial organizational psychology trace back almost to the beginning of psychology as a science, when Wilhelm Wundt founded one of the first psychological laboratories in 1876 in Leipzig, Germany.[ii] Industrial Psychology became more prominent during the First World War.[iii]
SEARCH TIP: Organizational Psychology is also referred to as Industrial Psychology, or Industrial Organizational Psychology, abbreviated I-O or WO for Work Psychology.[iv]
Potential Advantages of Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology Graduate Programs
The hybrid masters in organizational psychology format of study combines the benefits of online and on-campus study, so it is both convenient and low-residency. The newest digital tools keep you connected to your classmates via group forums, projects, feedback and email. It could be a suitable option if:
- You like the idea of having access to all the facilities that your school has to offer, such as libraries, laboratories, student services, networking and community
- You are looking to manage your timetable a certain way, returning to school to refine your academic portfolio, or just like the idea of a low residency approach
- You like the idea of studying via web, with a computer and Internet access.