The Department of German is one of the oldest, strongest, and best in the United States. Established in 1890, it awarded its first M.A. in 1893 and its first Ph.D. in 1901. Since then, over 700 M.A.'s and more than 300 Ph.D.'s have been granted by the program. The Department is one of the highest rated in the country. The university-wide system of faculty teaching evaluation by students consistently places the department members in the top quartile, and several faculty have received prestigious teaching awards. The size of the Department allows the program to emphasize both breadth and depth and to offer considerable scope and choice of courses, while the size of the university encourages a wide range of interdisciplinary projects. The fact that our former graduates teach in numerous colleges and universities around the country has firmly established the Department's reputation and significance.
The Department offers curricula leading to the degree of Master of Arts and the degree of Doctor of Philosophy with specialization in several fields of literature and linguistics. In addition, it offers candidates the opportunity to do specially tailored work with other units on campus, such as the departments of Comparative Literature, History, Art History, Communication Arts, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics, as well as the programs in Jewish Studies, European Studies, and Women's Studies.
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission