M.S. - Applied Statistics and Data Analytics (MASDA)
Applied Statistics and Data Analytics – A Booming Field: The explosion of data from sensors and other data collection devices, business processes, surveys, medical instruments, social media, and so forth has created an ever increasing demand for specialists in applied statistics and data analytics. The Department of Statistical Science at SMU offers the Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Data Analytics (MASDA) degree, which is designed to provide training that is ideally suited to produce graduates who are proficient in statistical methods while at the same time are trained in topics such as data base management, the use of SAS and other statistical software, and data mining that are necessary tools of today’s data analysts.
An attractive aspect of the statistics training you will receive at SMU is the wide variety of problems that can be addressed. Statistical decisions are fundamental to current research in nearly all academic disciplines. Government agencies, such as the Census Bureau and Food and Drug Administration, recruit statisticians. Statisticians also work at banks and insurance companies to assist in modeling financial data. There is also large demand for biostatisticians, statistical specialists typically employed at medical schools or research hospitals. Based on the wide variety of application areas from which to choose, a statistician need never be bored!
- The SMU Department of Statistical Science is a nationally recognized department with a history of producing outstanding, highly marketable graduates and being at the forefront of statistical research and innovation.
- While the standard curriculum is designed for a 2-year course of study, sufficient flexibility is provided to allow for graduation in 18 months.
- A limited amount of financial support is available for truly exceptional students.
- SMU is located in Dallas, TX, a dynamic metropolitan area with extensive cultural, entertainment, and sports venues. Dallas has a vibrant and diverse business climate, providing employment opportunities for our graduates in technological industries, financial services, information technology and data, and life sciences.
- A Ph.D. program in Statistical Science is also offered by our department. Please see the departmental website for more details.
Southern Methodist University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, masters, specialist, professional, and doctorate degrees.
International Student Requirements:
International students applying from countries where English is not the native language are required to provide scored on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (SMU code is 6660).