The M.Ed. in Exceptional Student Education (ESE) is a 36 semester hour program. It is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Six courses are offered face-to-face in the summer months, and six courses are offered in an 8-week online delivery format. This hybrid format better allows you the ability to advance your education while maintaining your current career and family life. While the various programs are in-depth and rigorous, the flexibility of the hybrid format allows you to schedule your studies around your life.
•This program is ideal for the teacher desiring to advance his/her effectiveness, knowledge, and advanced employability.
•It is an outstanding educational degree for those desiring a stepping stone to a doctoral degree.
•The program can be completed in six consecutive semesters although you are certainly allowed to go at a slower, more manageable pace depending upon your current career situation.
•Fulfills RTTT requirements for adding Autism Endorsement and in-field Master’s pay.
Foundational Courses (Online) (15 hours):
• EDUC 5313 Foundations of ESE – 3 hours
• ESED 5673 Framework for a Successful Inclusive Classroom – 3 hours
• ESED 5683 Positive Behavior Support – 3 hours
• EDUC 5433 Research Based Practices of Reading and Writing Instruction – 3 hours
• EDUC 5113 Educational Research – 3 hours
Core Courses (Summer Intensives) (18 hours):
• ESED 5613 Assessment of ESE Learners – 3 hours
• ESED 5623 Transition Program for Exceptional Adolescents/Young Adults – 3 hours
• ESED 5633 Educating Students w/ High Incidence Disabilities in the Gen. Ed. Class. – 3 hours
• ESED 5643 Instructional Strategies for Students with Intellectual Disabilities – 3 hours
• ESED 5653 Instructional Techniques for ED and BD – 3 hours
• ESED 5663 Instructional Strategies for students with Autism – 3 hours
Electives – Choose One Course (3 hours)
• Any graduate level (5000+) course with an EDUC or TESL prefix.
Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
International Student Requirements:
•For non-native English speakers a current TOEFL score at the mean level or higher.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required:
36 semester hours
Master's College or University I
Loans may be available. Applicants may apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).