Master of Professional Studies in Community and Economic Development
Gain the skills needed to address the social, environmental, and economic issues in communities, towns, small cities, and urban neighborhoods. Community and economic development professionals help people build community capacity; develop sustainable communities; enhance the local economy, infrastructure, and services; and work with the community members to build shared visions of the future.
With Penn State’s online MPS in community and economic development, you can gain the knowledge you need to navigate the complexities of communities and community organizations and inspire positive changes on a local, regional, and national level.
Gain Expertise and Proficiency
This Penn State World Campus online program enables you to more effectively implement community and economic development by building on the knowledge and skills you need to assist regions, communities, and community organizations with:
- making effective and informed decisions
- retaining jobs, creating and expanding job opportunities, encouraging entrepreneurship
- encouraging effective citizen participation and involvement
- understanding community institutions and processes that affect development and well-being
- including diverse public, private, and nonprofit interests in local and regional decision making and capacity building
- implementing land-use decisions and sustainable development
- understanding the causes and consequences of economic, social, and population changes
- using research and information to understand and shape economic and social change in communities and regions
- adapting programs and practices to fit local situations and needs
Penn State is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).