Penn State's 12-credit online graduate certificate program in homeland security is offered by Penn State Harrisburg's School of Public Affairs via the World Campus. It is designed to help you to either enhance your professional career in homeland security or enter the field, by learning about:
• the major legislation shaping homeland security policy
• the key actors and their interactions
• the planning and organizational imperatives related to homeland security
• impact of catastrophic events on society and domestic and global economies
Penn State’s homeland security curriculum was developed in collaboration with the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). Reflecting the input of that institution and the Department of Homeland Security, the curriculum provides you with the following four required courses:
• Introduction to Homeland Security (P ADM 401)
• Homeland Security and Defense in Practice (P ADM 404)
• Multifaceted Approaches to Homeland Security (P ADM 802)
• Strategic Planning and Organizational Imperatives in Homeland Defense and Security (P ADM 803)
The certificate is ideal for federal, state, and local emergency management officials, law enforcement personnel, members of the military, as well as employees connected with the Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies looking for a broad-based homeland security education. Individuals in the private sector, including finance corporations, insurance agencies, and security consultants, may find the program provides valuable and relevant skills.
The certificate may serve as an avenue into Penn State’s online master’s in homeland security. You can apply the 12 credits earned in the certificate toward the 33-credit intercollege Master of Professional Studies (iMPS) in Homeland Security.
Penn State has a history of 100+ years of distance education and more than a decade of experience in online learning. We strive to create an online learning environment that brings you as close to the face-to-face experience as possible.
Penn State is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, one of six regional higher education accreditation bodies for the United States.
International Student Requirements:
International students please visit our website to learn about language proficiency requirements.