Unlike many social work programs, CSUN’s Master of Social Work expands students' career possibilities by offering a generalist approach. The curriculum also enables students to gain the skills and perspective to work at any level: individual/family (micro); group/community (mezzo); and societal/policy (macro).Our program gives students the opportunity to work with vulnerable and at-risk populations and cultivates an appreciation of the planned-change process.
Flexible Learning Options
• Online, as a two-year, full-time program - Fully-online. In addition to completing regular online assignments, the MSW program typically meets weekly for live, online sessions one week night per week, in each class. The specific day time for live sessions will be announced no later than one month before the cohort launch. Rare exceptions may apply.
• Off-campus, as a part-time, three-year program - Classes are held at various locations across Southern California. The schedule is designed around working professionals so classes are during the evening.
High Quality Education
• Esteemed Faculty - Courses are led by distinguished CSUN faculty members who are experts in their fields. No matter which learning option – online or off-campus – students choose, they receive outstanding instructional quality together with personalized support, at a state-university price. In fact, CSUN’s online program can prepare students in less time, and can cost half as much, as a private university program.
• Outstanding support - Online or off-campus, students admitted to the program are guaranteed enrollment in all required courses. What’s more, the complete and on-going support of a designated Program Manager, from application to graduation, frees them to focus on their studies and their field placement requirements.
• A cohesive and supportive learning community – both online and off-campus - The cohort format of this program facilitates on-time completion of the degree through student interaction on weekly assignments, which also leads to the development of strong professional relationships.
• Well-designed, effective distance learning - As one of the first American universities to offer graduate degrees online, CSUN does not entrust its learning community to commercial providers. Rather, CSUN faculty and practitioners receive training and support to ensure instructional excellence. Students also benefit from the beginning-to-end support of the Tseng College's professional Distance Learning staff.
CSUN's MSW degree prepares students for careers as direct service providers, administrators, community advocates, counselors, policy makers, researchers, supervisors and service workers in a wide variety of settings, including community and government organizations, health care centers, schools, and more.
California State University Northridge is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Facts & Figures
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate):
$695(online) $575(ground) USD
In State Tuition (per year):
$18,112 - $20,850 USD
Out State Tuition (per year):
$18,112 - $20,850 USD