Innovation is the hallmark of the magazine, newspaper, and online journalism program.
In just 12 months, students are equipped to work in today’s competitive media industry as true multiplatform journalists with strong skills in writing, design, multimedia outlets, and entrepreneurship.
The program includes a combination of courses that are critical at the master’s level with practical skills courses:
• You enter the program through an intensive six-week boot camp that covers basic newsgathering and reporting as well as design and multimedia skills.
• Applied Research in Content Management helps you understand the back end of web sites, interpret analytics, and develop your own web site.
• In the capstone at the end of the program, you will produce an entire tablet magazine from scratch in just six weeks.
Unique features of our program:
• The program’s flexibility allows you to discover and bolster skills in photography, multimedia, design, magazine writing and editing, and social media.
• You have an opportunity to take several electives at Newhouse and throughout Syracuse University.
• You learn to report, write, edit, and design content across platforms.
• You gain experience with industry-standard software such as Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut.
• Every student leaves the program equipped to be a reporter at any news organization.
• MNO students have seen their classwork published in The Atlantic, USA Today, Poynter, and Running Times, in addition to Syracuse-area publications.
• Recent graduates work as editorial assistants, newspaper reporters, copy editors, sports reporters, fact-checkers, page designers, and interactive designers at Buzzfeed, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Vogue.com, Slate, Reader’s Digest, Viacom, InStyle, SI.com, the San Francisco Chronicle, and other print and digital publications.
Newhouse is accredited by ACEJMC.
International Student Requirements:
International students must submit a TOEFL score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.