The Psychology Department traditionally has been strong in Cognition and Neuroscience. This emphasis goes back to the founding of the department in 1900 by Max Meyer, who was among the first generation of prominent experimental psychologists. Meyer was followed by a number of other prominent experimental psychologists who served as Department Chair (including John McGeoch and Arthur Melton), and the cognition and neuroscience emphasis remains a strong component of the department to this day. Presently, there are ten full-time faculty. A February, 1997 summary showed that this group had more than 60 papers published in the last year (1996) or in press, and held more than $2,000,000 in current extramural funding.