The mission of the Department of Professional Education is to prepare school leaders skilled in facilitation, motivation and communication to meet the needs of students, faculty and communities experiencing a world in perpetual and dynamic change. The department prepares educational leaders to empower the school's various publics in developing a vision for the school, directing the school and meeting the school's day-to-day challenges. The department prepares school leaders to be ethical, to recognize the basic human dignity of each individual and to promote life-long learning and self-improvement in themselves and in those for whom they are responsible.
The Professional Education programs at Northwest have been recognized as innovative and outstanding by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. These programs have also been reviewed and accredited by NCATE and DESE.
Northwest is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Northwest has been an AQIP institution since 2005, and served as a pilot institution in the development of AQIP in the late 1990s.
In addition to being accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Northwest programs are accredited by:
• Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP)
• Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
• Council for the Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism& Related Professions (COAPRT)
• Council for the Accreditation of the American Association ofFamily and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
• Missouri State Board of Education
• National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
• National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
• National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)