The Department of Professional Education offers the Specialist in Education program, which offers study beyond the master's degree for persons preparing for positions in educational administration and supervision. The three areas of specialization are:
- Secondary School Principalship
- Elementary School Principalship
The Professional Education programs at Northwest have been recognized as innovative and outstanding by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. These programs have also been reviewed and accredited by NCATE and DESE.
Northwest is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Northwest has been an AQIP institution since 2005, and served as a pilot institution in the development of AQIP in the late 1990s.
In addition to being accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Northwest programs are accredited by:
• Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP)
• Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
• Council for the Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism& Related Professions (COAPRT)
• Council for the Accreditation of the American Association ofFamily and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
• Missouri State Board of Education
• National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
• National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
• National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)