As a yoga therapy practitioner positioned at the forefront of this emerging field, you will be able to design a fulfilling career working with individuals and groups in a wide variety of settings. Maryland University of Integrative Health’s Master of Science in Yoga Therapy offers a unique approach to this field by providing you with a comprehensive and highly experiential classroom experience taught by nationally renowned experts, culminating with an on-site, mentored clinical experience that prepares you to build or grow your practice.
Novel outcomes for this program include:
- A comprehensive understanding of the classical and theoretical foundations of the field of Yoga Therapy, as well as extensive knowledge of biomedical systems from an integrative and holistic perspective, as needed for the practice of Yoga Therapy
- Skills to apply teachings from this curriculum and in previous yoga teacher trainings to assess the needs of clients, to design and implement effective programs, and to evaluate the effectiveness of these programs
- Ability to effectively use yoga as a therapeutic modality through the integration of diverse approaches to this field
About the Curriculum
Our 39-credit Master of Science in Yoga Therapy is designed to meet the standards established by the International Association of Yoga Therapists and provides yoga professionals with a comprehensive foundation in the theoretical, scientific, and experiential training of yogic teachings and practices. The curriculum is anchored in a relationship-centered philosophy, honoring most yoga traditions, and acknowledging the complex interrelationship between body, mind, and spirit. When you complete the program, you will be able to teach clients how to tailor the practices and teachings of yoga to address their individual health needs and to cultivate a lifetime of wellness.
- Prepares you with extensive foundational knowledge in yoga therapy, critical thinking skills, and information literacy needed to excel in the program and in your future career
- Provides a strong foundation in the theories of health and disease relevant to the practice of yoga therapy
- Embraces the diversity of styles and approaches to yoga therapy
- Features custom-designed science courses delivered by experienced health science faculty
- Incorporates master classes with nationally recognized experts to offer students a broad base of perspectives and experiences in yoga therapy
- Terminology and language of Western medicine is taught to enable you to effectively communicate with a wide variety of professional colleagues and to effectively integrate yoga therapy with other healing disciplines
- Curriculum designed to meet the standards of the International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Offers a mentored clinical experience with on-site clinic supervisors
- Program can be completed in a two-year weekend format
- Eligible for federal financial aid
Maryland University of Integrative Health is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The university's graduate degrees and certificates are endorsed by the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Financial Aid Offered: Yes
Classification: Specialized Institution—Other separate health profession school