The Physics Department at Mines offers a full program of instruction and research leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. in applied physics.
Graduate students are given a solid background in the fundamentals of classical and modern physics at an advanced level. The atmosphere in the department is one of intellectual challenge and stimulation. The physics faculty members at Mines have been attracted from the top universities and research institutions; their national and international reputations are based on contributions to physics research and education.
Applied optics, nuclear/subatomic physics, and condensed matter physics are major focus areas for the physics research program. A wide range of research projects is actively pursued within each area and there is a great deal of collaboration between these groups. A sizable number of graduate students in materials science and nuclear engineering are also working under members of the physics faculty. Current fields of research include:
* Applied Optics: laser development, ultrafast optics, x-ray generation, spectroscopy, near-field and multi-photon microscopy, non-linear optics, wave propagation phenomena
* Nuclear Physics: low energy reactions, nuclear structure and astrophysics, nuclear theory, fusion plasma diagnostics, fission detectors
* Astroparticle Physics: ultrahigh energy cosmic-rays, exotic objects, laser "test-beams", atmospherics, instrumentation development
* Electronic Materials: photovoltaics, liquid crystals, polymer electronics, x-ray diffraction, Raman spectroscopy, thin film semiconductors, transparent conductors, amorphous materials
* Nanoscale Materials: nanoparticles, nanowires, nanocrystals, plasmonics devices, molecular motors, nanoparticle-organic composites
* Surface and Interface Physics: surface functionalization, self-assembled systems, x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, Auger spectroscopy, scanning
Colorado School of Mines is accredited through the doctoral degree by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association.
Facts & Figures
Specialized Institution—School of engineering and technology