This programme of study and research focusses on managerial and organisational practice, provides opportunities for learning through collaborative processes, and, most importantly, enables knowledge to be taken back to the workplace and implemented in order to improve the quality of practice. Students will enhance their ability by applying theory to practice in the contexts of critical public policy and administration issues in a way that draws upon students' extensive professional and managerial experience.
The DPA is firmly grounded in the social sciences and premised on experienced public sector professionals having the broad remit of providing effective leadership to their organisation in a governance and policy environment that is ambiguous, complex and often indeterminate. It provides, at the doctoral-level, the conceptual knowledge and the research capacity that will enable students to:
• facilitate in others the capacity to manage public resources cost-efficiently, cost-effectively and equitably
• guide, and contribute to, socio-political discourses, at all levels, on the future roles of the state, civil society and the market in societal and local community governance
• give sound policy advice to government across an array of policy domains.
• Induction and introduction to doctoral research
• Reflective practice, reflexivity and participatory research
• Identifying and explaining theory
• History and philosophy of public policy and social sciences
• Understanding paradigms of inquiry
• Developing methodological approaches and dealing with methods
• Research proposal and thesis