Ph.D. Programme in International Law, M.Phil. in International Law
M.A. in Politics
The International Legal Studies Division (ILS) is a part of the Centre for Diplomacy, International Law and Economics, which is one of the seven centres of the School of International Studies. It took shape from the Department of International Law which was part of the erstwhile Indian School of International Studies (ISIS). The ISIS was in existence since 1955 till it merged with the University in June 1970 to form the present School of International Studies.
Since its inception, the ILS has been involved in teaching and research in various contemporary issues of concern in international law. The range and scope of teaching and research undertaken by the Division have been wide and varied. They encompass, besides the traditional issues, air and space law, cyber law, environmental law, human rights law, refugee law, trade and economic law, law of the sea, law of international organization and other contemporary issues in international law.
To facilitate the development of research and training in the fields of environmental law and air and space law in the country, the ILS holds two prestigious chairs, viz. the Jawaharlal Nehru Chair in Environmental Law established in 1989 with an endowment from the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India and the Chair in International Space Law established in 1987 with an initial grant by the Department of Space, Government of India.
Currently, the ILS has a professional strength of three Professors, one Associate Professor, one Research Associate and one Research Assistant. Prof. R.P. Anand, Professor Emeritus continues to be associated with it. Eminent international lawyers who served the Division include Prof. Rahmatullah Khan, the first holder of the Jawaharlal Nehru Chair in Environmental Law.