The Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus offers an interdisciplinary PhD programme in Heritage Studies that is aimed at national as well as international prospective students.
The programmeis a consequent further development of the highly successful Master’s degree in World Heritage Studies, implemented in 1999. This programme aims to develop, both qualitatively and quantitatively, international and interdisciplinary research on the protection and use of the heritage of mankind in all its representations. The graduate school collaborates closely with the network of UNESCO Chairs working on the issues of heritage.
The programme focuses on theory and practice-oriented research activities related to heritage in all its expressions and the relation between heritage and the transformation processes triggered by globalization. Dissertation topics should address one of the following five research areas broadly defined:
International Student Requirements:
The application requirements for the programme are:
• Completed application form with annexes
• Two passport photos
• Proof of eligibility for admission including a certified copy of the university entrance certificate as well as a university degree qualifying for PhD studies or doctoral studies (see PhD regulations)
• Evidence of all completed degree courses and final exams (certified copies)
• Synopsis of your PhD project (max. 10 pages) including: 1. Description of the state of research in the chosen research area of the Graduate School 2. Objectives of the doctoral thesis; Own research activities and results; 3. Working schedule for completing the PhD
• Proof of English proficiency by internet based TOEFL, min. 79 points or equivalent
• List of own academic publications or other academic work
• A letter of motivation (2 pp.)